Ministry dismisses claims that U.S. has contingency plans for use of force
SEOUL — The South Korean Ministry of National Defense this week dismissed a Democratic Labor Party leader’s claims that the United States has contingency plans to use military force to settle disputes involving China and North Korea.
The ministry said claims made by Rep. Roh Hoe-chan were false and were based on excerpts from research papers and mock discussions made in preparation for a meeting last year.
“We’ve never shared our opinions or discussed with the U.S. a possible extension of the USFK’s role,” the ministry said in a statement.
U.S. Forces Korea had no comment on the accusation and instead referred questions to the Ministry of National Defense.
On Tuesday, Roh charged that U.S. military officials have a “high level” reaction plan to settle disputes between China and other Asian nations.
“The United States clarified its intention to intervene militarily in North Korea and China,” Roh said at a press conference, according to The Korea Times.
In one case, Roh said, “Washington will intensify its pressure on Pyongyang if it continues trying to develop nuclear weapons. This will eventually irritate Beijing, leading to a full-scale conflict between China and the U.S.”
A Democratic Labor Party official said Wednesday the group stands behind Roh’s statements.
Hwang Hae-rym contributed to this report.