CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — The Marine accused of raping a 14-year-old Okinawa girl in February now faces court-martial charges that could send him to prison for the rest of his life.

Staff Sgt. Tyrone L. Hadnott, 38, faces multiple charges in connection with the Feb. 10 incident, according to a news release the Marine Corps issued Friday.

He has been in the brig on Camp Hansen since Feb. 28, when he was released from Japanese custody after prosecutors decided not seek a rape indictment.

If Hadnott is convicted, he faces punishment more severe than the maximum 15-year sentence he would have faced in Japanese court.

While he was being detained and questioned by Okinawa police he admitted to attempting to kiss and fondle the girl, but denied raping her, an Okinawa police spokesman said.

Japanese prosecutors released Hadnott to military custody after the girl dropped her criminal complaint.

Chief Prosecutor Yaichiro Yamashiki said the girl “just wanted to be left alone.”

Hadnott now faces two counts of violating Article 120 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, specifically raping a child under the age of 16 and abusive sexual contact with a child under the age of 16.

The first charge carries a life sentence without the possibility of parole; the second carries a maximum 15-year prison sentence.

In addition, he is charged with two violations of Article 134, specifically committing adultery and kidnapping. The adultery charge carries a maximum one-year prison sentence. The “kidnapping through inveigling” charge carries a maximum of life without parole.

Article 134 is a catch-all for unspecified crimes that harm good order and discipline and bring discredit to the armed forces.

Hadnott also is charged with one count of making a false official statement, which carries a maximum five-year prison term.

The charges against Hadnott were referred to court-martial on Monday by 3rd Marine Division commander Maj. Gen. Robert B. Neller, according to the release.

Hadnott waived his right to a preliminary hearing, said Marine spokesman 1st Lt. Judd Wilson in an e-mail response to Stripes.

A court date has not been determined.

According to Okinawa police, Hadnott met three girls at an ice cream parlor in Okinawa City on Feb. 10.

He allegedly took the 14-year-old to his off-base home.

While there he allegedly tried to force himself on her and she fled, but he caught up to her and talked her into accepting a ride home in his van, according to the police report.

Instead of taking her home, Okinawa police said Hadnott drove to a seaside park in Chatan and raped her.

Police found the girl sitting on a curb near the park.

Hadnott was arrested about 2 a.m. Feb. 11 in his van outside his home.

The incident generated several Japanese protests. It was the first in a series of crimes that led to new curfew and alcohol restrictions for people connected to the U.S. military on Okinawa and Marine bases in mainland Japan.

Hadnott is assigned to Headquarters Battalion, 3rd Marine Division on Camp Courtney as a radio chief, according to Marine officials.

News that he faces multiple military charges was welcomed by Shigeko Urasaki, an organizer for Okinawa Women’s Net, one of the groups that held protests.

“I hope that the court-martial will give him the punishment that he rightly deserves,” Urasaki said.

She said that in the Japanese justice system, a sexual assault case cannot go forward if the victim withdraws her complaint before indictment.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign up to receive a daily email of today's top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign Up Now