Support our mission
 

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. — A Marine reservist who killed an Iraqi soldier was sentenced Friday to a bad-conduct discharge but will serve no more time behind bars, a Camp Pendleton spokeswoman said.

Lance Cpl. Delano Holmes, 22, of Indianapolis, also was reduced in rank to private, said 1st Lt. Lisa Lawrence.

Holmes could have faced up to eight more years of confinement, but was sentenced only to the 10 months he had already spent in the brig awaiting his court-martial.

2 slain soldiers identifiedTwo soldiers based in Vicenza, Italy, who were killed Wednesday in Afghanistan have been identified by the Defense Department.

They are Staff Sgt. Michael J. Gabel, 30, of Crowley, La., and Cpl. Joshua C. Blaney, 25, of Matthews, N.C.

Both men, from the 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment (Airborne), 173rd Airborne Brigade, died after their vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb near Forward Operating Base Curry.

The two had been based at Caserma Ederle before their unit deployed.

From staff and wire reports

Migrated

Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up