2 ISAF troops die in Afghanistan, 1 shot by security guard
By ALEX PENA | STARS AND STRIPES Published: October 5, 2013
An International Security Assistance Force servicemember was shot and killed by an alleged contracted security guard Saturday, ISAF reported.
ISAF said the suspected gunman was killed, and “ISAF and Afghan officials are assessing the incident.”
No details as to the motive were immediately available. It also was not known if the shooter was Afghan or foreign.
So-called insider attacks, in which an Afghan wearing a security force uniform fires on foreign troops have been down this year compared to last. But two such attacks within the last two weeks killed four Americans, including three special forces soldiers, bringing the total this year to 12. Last year, 62 personnel died in 47 such attacks, according to NATO reports.
Another ISAF servicemember died in southern Afghanistan Friday due to a “non-battle related injury,” according to an ISAF press release. It gave no further details.
It is ISAF policy to defer the identification of casualties to their national authorities.
Meanwhile, ISAF said it was investigating reports that civilians were killed in a strike Friday in Nangarhar province in eastern Afghanistan.
Afghan and coalition forces “responded to an attack and conduced a coordinated precision strike against insurgents” ISAF spokesman Lt. Col. Will Griffin said in a email.
“ISAF and Afghan officials are coordinating a joint investigation into an
incident that took place last night in Behsud District, Nangahar Province, after insurgents unsuccessfully attempted to target a coalition base with mortar fire,” Griffin said in a subsequent email Saturday.
The Associated Press quoted a provincial official as saying five civilians were killed in the strike.
“ISAF takes all allegations of civilian casualties seriously and is working with our Afghan partners to confirm the details of this incident,” Griffin said.