Support our mission

SEOUL — Authorities are investigating a letter received by the U.S. Embassy that threatened Americans living in South Korea and reportedly included a photo of a bomb similar to those used in the Boston Marathon attack last month.

Asked if U.S. citizens here should be concerned about the threat, a Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency official said, “I’m sorry, but I can’t answer that because it’s related to our investigation.”

The letter arrived at the embassy Monday morning, police said.

The Yonhap News Agency reported the letter was written in Korean and said, “American citizens living on the territory of South Korea will be subject to attack if they continue with a war game.”

Attached to the letter was a photo of a pressure-cooker bomb similar to the explosive devices detonated in Boston, the report said.

Police said it is possible the letter was sent by the same person who sent a similarly threatening note to South Korea Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin two weeks ago, Yonhap reported. That letter contained white powder that turned out to be flour.

Attempts to get embassy comment about the letter were unsuccessful.

More than 100,000 Americans live in South Korea, in addition to 28,500 U.S. servicemembers stationed here.

rabiroff.jon@stripes.com

chang.yookyong@stripes.com

author picture
Yoo Kyong Chang is a reporter/translator covering the U.S. military from Camp Humphreys, South Korea. She graduated from Korea University and also studied at the University of Akron in Ohio.
Email

Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up