Legal challenge over, Red Cloud construction gets back on track
Stars and Stripes October 20, 2005
CAMP RED CLOUD, South Korea — A $370,000 face-lift for Mitchell’s club is back on track after delays caused by a contractor’s unsuccessful legal challenge, Area I officials say.
Camp Red Cloud garrison commander Lt. Col. William Huber said in January that funding had been approved to turn Mitchell’s into a sports bar with seating for 150 people and more than 20 flat screen televisions.
Work has yet to start on the project, which, according to Huber, was supposed to start in March or April.
William Bryant, assistant chief of Korea Region Installation Management Agency’s Morale, Welfare and Recreation Division wrote in an e-mail this month that the work was held up after “an unsuccessful bidder protested the contract decision for a major component of this project.”
Area I officials confirmed this week that the bidder’s protest wasn’t upheld and the project is back on track, but they could not specify exactly when it will start.
Bryant’s e-mail said $4.2 million in Area 1 nonappropriated fund construction projects are planned for the next fiscal year. Area I declined to release a list of projects to be funded.
However, when Lt. Col. Stephen Murray handed over command of Camp Casey Garrison in June he mentioned a raft of new projects for the base including an in-line skating track, a radio-controlled car racing track, a $500,000 renovation of Primo’s Restaurant, creation of a park next to Primo’s, extension of the Camp Hovey gymnasium to make more room for aerobics and weights, and an artificial field next to the Carey Fitness Center.