SEOUL — The South Korean woman convicted of starting a fire on a U.S. military base next to Yongsan Garrison earlier this year lost an appeal Thursday, meaning she has one more chance before beginning her two-year sentence, according to South Korean court officials.

Kweon Jung-ja, dressed in a blue prison uniform and carrying a thick stack of papers, pleaded and argued with Chief Judge Min Il-young during the 10-minute proceeding in Seoul High Court.

She railed against her lawyer for failing to show in court and continued her rant against the South Korean government. In the past, Kweon has said she set the March 16 fire at Yongsan partially in reaction to what she believes is maltreatment from both the South Korean and U.S. governments.

On Thursday, she also accused Min of failing to give her justice.

“How can you judge me without knowing the basic information on the defendant?” she yelled at Min.

Min said deliberations were inappropriate in an appellate court and listened to her for a few more minutes before denying the appeal. Removing her from the courtroom required one female and three male guards.

Korean authorities have determined Kweon suffers from mental illness but also decided she was competent to stand trial. In June, Kweon was sentenced to two years in prison. Before she begins her jail time, she must be treated for her mental illness.

Also Thursday, Min decreased her sentence by the 60 days she already has served.

In the early morning hours of March 16, Kweon found an open gate to the Korean Service Corps compound, a U.S. military base next to Yongsan’s Main Post, and entered, she told police last spring. She used a lighter and worker’s gloves to start the fire, she told police.

The fire swept through one service corps building and two Directorate of Public Works buildings on Yongsan. Three service corps workers who were sleeping in their building after a night out were burned.

In early August, Lee Byeok- woo, who suffered burns on 60 percent of his body, remained hospitalized. A second victim had returned home and the third had returned to work.

Whether Kweon would continue to appeal her conviction was unclear Thursday.

As she was taken from the courtroom, she continued to scream at the judge.

“I wish your destiny could become exactly like mine,” she said.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign up to receive a daily email of today's top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign Up Now