RAF FAIRFORD, England — Prosecutors called on two British medical experts Tuesday to reinforce the case against Airman 1st Class Mark Cooper, accused of abusing his infant son last year.

Cooper, of the 420th Munitions Squadron, allegedly used his hands to commit assault on his 6-week-old son by pushing on his arms, chest and legs with a means likely to produce death or grievous bodily harm, according to court papers.

The alleged abuse, which occurred between February and March 2007, resulted in numerous fractured bones in the infant’s legs and collarbones. The most serious injury was a snapped femur bone in his left leg, according to court testimony.

“It was separated,” Dr. Stephen Chapman, a pediatric radiologist at the Birmingham Children’s Hospital, told the court on Tuesday.

Chapman, who has published books on child injuries, was asked by the Gloucestershire Constabulary to give his opinion on a series of X-ray images. In court, prosecutors had Chapman point out each fractured bone discovered on the X-rays.

Earlier in the day, Dr. Helen Price testified that the infant’s injuries were not an accident.

Price, a consultant pediatrician at the Great Western Hospital in Swindon — where Cooper’s son was admitted — ran further examinations that included the skeletal survey and blood tests to assess bone strength.

“I concluded that he suffered a series of nonaccidental injuries,” she told the court.

Price testified that the infant also had to receive doses of morphine to counter the pain of the injuries.

The infant stayed about two weeks at the hospital before being put into foster care. He currently resides with his mother and grandmother in Alabama, according to court testimony.

Price could not say what or who caused the injuries. However, she testified that considerable pressure is needed to cause these types of injuries.

“It takes a significant force to break a thighbone in a baby,” Price said.

Military Judge (Lt. Col.) Jennifer Cline is presiding over the judge-only trial that could end as early as Wednesday.

If found guilty, Cooper faces a maximum punishment of three years’ confinement, dishonorable discharge, reduction to E-1 and forfeiture of all pay, said Maj. Kenneth Hobbs, the 420th Air Base Group Staff Judge Advocate.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign up to receive a daily email of today's top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign Up Now