Support our mission

Chief Warrant Officer 3 Almous Irby, 36, pilots an OH-58D Kiowa Warrior helicopter.(Steve Liewer, Stars and Stripes)Chief Warrant Officer 3 Almous Irby

Unit: 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division

Medal: Two Air Medals with "V"

Earned: April 10 and June 24, 2004, Baqouba, Iraq

Though all soldiers in Iraq face danger, only a few receive awards for bravery.

Chief Warrant Officer 3 Almous Irby, who flies an OH-58D Kiowa Warrior helicopter for Troop E of the 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment, has earned a deuce.

At a November ceremony at Forward Operating Base MacKenzie, Iraq, north of Balad, Maj. Gen. John Batiste pinned not one, but two, Air Medals with a “V” for valor on Irby’s chest for actions in separate engagements in Baqouba on April 10 and June 24, 2004.

“It’s kind of a surprise, but it feels good, obviously,” said Irby, 36, of Neptune, N.J. “It doesn’t remind you of a happy event.”

During the uprising, ground forces from the 1st Infantry Division’s 1st Battalion, 6th Field Artillery called on the two-seat Kiowas — attached to the unit as a quick-reaction force — about 2:30 p.m. to flush out a group of enemy fighters crouched in a palm tree grove.

The ground troops had planned to challenge the guerrillas directly but couldn’t because their main gun malfunctioned.

So the Kiowa pilots flew one pass after another directly into the fierce ground fire. They maneuvered while firing their mounted .50-caliber machine guns as well as aiming hand-held M4 rifles from the helicopters’ open windows, swooping in as low as 20 feet. A set of power lines in front of the grove made the attacks more treacherous.

“It was a standing firefight,” Irby said. “As soon as one aircraft would peel off, the second would come in right behind.”

The battle lasted about 25 minutes, until the rifle fire stopped. Ground troops later found four insurgents dead in the grove, and blood trails indicating many others had been wounded. No one in the helicopters was injured, and none of the Kiowas had a single bullet hole.

“There was no hesitation. We just went right to work,” Irby said. “Later, when we realized how close they’d gotten to us and none of us got hurt, it was pretty surrealistic.”

The April 10 “Battle of Baqouba” was the first real combat for Troop E, but there would be plenty more.

On June 24, Irby was again on the quick-reaction force. Near Forward Operating Base Gabe in Baqouba, one of the 1st Infantry Division’s unmanned aerial vehicles spotted people handing out weapons from a van.

Irby and his wingman tracked down the van, but the driver heard them coming and stopped at a house. The guerrillas scattered. Some of them ran inside and began firing rifles and rocket-propelled grenades at the Kiowas.

“We couldn’t just lay waste to the house, because we didn’t know if innocents were inside,” Irby said.

But he shot up all three vehicles outside with his .50-caliber machine gun and killed four guerrillas outside with a direct rocket hit. Tracking down a van that had driven away from the house, he hovered low and stopped the vehicle. The van held a couple and three children — innocents whose house apparently had been commandeered by guerrillas. Irby let them go.

Sometimes, not shooting is a heroic act.

Stripes in 7

around the web

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up