Support our mission

HANAU, Germany — A soldier was sentenced Friday to six months in jail and given a bad-conduct discharge for stealing a Humvee while drunk and crashing it through a security gate, then head-butting one military cop and spitting blood into the face of another.

Pfc. Dennis C. Glick Jr., of the 19th Maintenance Company in Hanau, was acquitted on a charge that he later punctured 101 tires on Humvees, 5-ton trucks and other heavy vehicles belonging to the motor pool of 5th Battalion, 7th Air Defense Artillery at Underwood Casern.

Glick pleaded guilty — or was convicted — on five charges, including assault and destruction of government property, stemming from the Humvee incident, which occurred on May 6. The tire-stabbings happened on June 15.

Judge (Col.) James Pohl did not give a reason for finding Glick innocent of stabbing the tires.

Glick had confessed to slashing the tires, but lawyers for both sides noted that his confession did not jibe with witnesses’ accounts. Glick said he did it at about 4 a.m.; sentries said the vehicles were undamaged when they walked by at 5 a.m. There were also no eyewitnesses to the crime and no physical evidence that implicated Glick.

Glick confessed to stabbing the tires one month after it happened. His lawyer, Capt. Will Helixon, said Glick took the fall for his unit because he was already in trouble for the Humvee stunt.

As part of his sentence, Pohl also lowered Glick in rank to E-1.

During pre-sentence testimony, Glick, 21, was described as an excellent mechanic and good worker.

His mother, Diane, testified that Glick, as a teen, tried to commit suicide by locking himself in a garage and breathing car fumes. She said her son was treated at a mental health facility before joining the Army in June 2001.

Glick, who had four months left on his three-year hitch, choked up and sniffled when he read a statement asking for mercy.

“I truly do have battles with alcohol,” he said. “I know my conduct put others in danger and damaged government property. Please let me go and let me start rebuilding my life with the help of my family and friends.”

Glick could have been sentenced to up to 12 years of confinement. He was to begin his six-month sentence Friday night at the Mannheim Confinement Facility.

According to Capt. Chris Graveline, the prosecutor and the senior defense counsel for V Corps, at about 1 a.m. on May 5 Glick took the Humvee and drove through the candy-striped gate and out of Underwood Casern. He drove about 600 meters down the road before stopping, getting out and returning to the gate.

During his apprehension Glick’s lip was cut, and he spit blood into the face of a military police officer, Graveline said.


Stripes in 7

around the web

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up