PYEONGTAEK, South Korea — A soldier sentenced to five years in prison for attacks on a military police sergeant and two warrant officers was in the Camp Humphreys jail Monday awaiting transfer to a prison in the United States, officials said.

Army Pvt. Taveous T. Spevey of the 568th Medical Company also was sentenced last week to a dishonorable discharge and reduction to the military’s lowest pay grade, E-1.

A six-member jury sentenced Spevey at Camp Humphreys Friday after finding him guilty on charges of assaulting a noncommissioned officer, resisting apprehension, provoking speech, wrongful appropriation, being absent without leave and assault — a charge stemming from attacks on two warrant officers and the wife of one of the warrant officers.

The court-martial began Thursday before a visiting military judge, Army Lt. Col. Richard Anderson, who usually hears cases at Fort Campbell, Ky., and Fort Carson, Colo. The jury consisted of four officers and two senior enlisted personnel.

Prosecutors accused Spevey of a range of offenses between late November 2005 and early April.

On Nov. 27, according to prosecutors, Spevey, while at or near Camp Humphreys punched and kicked a fellow soldier repeatedly in the face and body, fracturing a bone near the victim’s eye.

On Dec. 23, Spevey stole a cell phone from each of three fellow soldiers, the prosecution charged. The thefts occurred at or near Anjung-ri, the town just outside the Camp Humphreys main gate.

The next day, Dec. 24, Spevey was drunk and disorderly, said the prosecution, and, when military police sought to arrest him in the theft of the cell phones, Spevey resisted, choking an MP sergeant and directing profanity and ethnic slurs against the sergeant and an MP private.

“You better get the [expletive] out of my room or fists are going to fly,” he told the private, prosecutors charged.

The incident involving warrant officers occurred Jan. 17 in Anjung-ri, when, according to prosecutors, a drunk and disorderly Spevey punched the warrant officers in the head and body and punched the wife of one of the warrant officers in the arm.

In the same incident, Spevey allegedly addressed profanity toward the warrant officers, the prosecution said.

The next day, Jan. 18, the Army revoked Spevey’s off-post pass privileges.

Several weeks later, first on Feb. 13 and again Feb. 15, Spevey failed to show up for duty at 5 a.m. at the Pegasus Dining Facility on Camp Humphreys, prosecutors charged.

On March 31, at or near Camp Humphreys, Spevey was drunk and disorderly, they said.

On April 1 at or near Camp Humphreys, prosecutors said, Spevey punched a private first class in the head and body.

That same day the Army jailed Spevey pending court-martial.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign up to receive a daily email of today's top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign Up Now