How you can help victims of the Haiti earthquake
By STARS AND STRIPES Published: January 13, 2010
People who want to help the victims of the recent earthquake in Haiti are asked to make cash donations, not clothes or food. Money can be transferred instantly and can be used to purchase exactly what is needed, according to the Center for International Disaster Information.
People searching for information about family members in Haiti can call a State Department hotline at 1-888-407-4747.
Beware of fraudulent organizations asking for money. Here is a list of reputable charities where you can donate safely:
- International Red Cross: You can also text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill. Those who wish to donate by phone can dial (800) Redcross or (800) 257-7575. Or you can mail a donation to the following address:
American Red Cross
P.O. Box 37243
Washington D.C. 20013
- The Yele Foundation: Text "Yele" to 501501 to donate $5. This organization, was founded by Haitian musician Wyclef John.
- Rescue Union Mission and MedCorp International: Text "Haiti" to 85944 to donate $5 on behalf of the Rescue Union Mission and MedCorp International
- Internal Rescue Committee: Text the word “Haiti” to 25383 to donate $5 on behalf of the Internal Rescue Committee
- Oxfam America
- Catholic Relief Services
- Lutheran World Relief
- American Jewish World Service
- American Friends Service Committee
A longer list of charities can be found at interaction.org.