Support our mission

SUWON, South Korea — South Korean court officials postponed a scheduled Friday hearing for a telecommunications executive accused of bribing U.S. military officials in return for a multimillion-dollar Internet service contract.

Officials said the trial was postponed because defense lawyers said they still hadn’t received documents from the Army and Air Force Exchange Service needed to defend their client.

Jeong Gi-hwnan, 40, an executive with Samsung Rental Telecommunications (SSRT), was to appear at 2 p.m. Friday, according to the court. As of late Friday, no date had been set for his next court appearance.

Jeong is accused of paying $100,000 to a military official and providing entertainment on a dozen occasions in return for a $206 million contract that began in 2001, according to Hong Sung-mu, chief detective of the Gyeonggi province police department’s foreign affairs section.

Jeong also is accused of making 17 payments totaling $68,000 to a military official from September 2003 to July 2005, according to South Korean police. They say Jeong used those bribes to ward off a quality inspection prompted by servicemembers’ complaints about Internet service.

The contract, which remains in effect, provides phone, Internet and cable television services to U.S Forces Korea military personnel on Osan Air Base, according to statements from AAFES officials. SSRT also provides Internet service to U.S. military personnel on bases throughout the Korean peninsula, AAFES has said.

South Korean police have said they believe two U.S. military officials also are under investigation in the case.

Jeong has been held in prison since his Sept. 14 arrest.


Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up