NAVAL FORCES MARIANAS, Guam — It could be at least another week until Petty Officer 2nd Class Anthony D. Shepherd learns if he will face court-martial for murder.

During his Article 32 hearing, which got under way Wednesday, prosecutors said they were awaiting the results of a second autopsy on Shepherd’s 1-month-old son, the Pacific Daily News reported Friday.

Shepherd is charged for allegedly causing his son’s death. He is also facing charges of maiming and reckless endangerment and animal cruelty.

Officials said baby Jonathan died from blood clots on the brain — this type of infant death is often attributed to shaken baby syndrome.

The infant was admitted to Naval Hospital on Sept. 21 and died Sept. 22, Navy officials said previously. The 27-year-old Shepherd was charged Sept. 29.

During testimony Thursday, government prosecutor Lt. Chris Phan said it could take up to 10 days for the results of the second autopsy, the Pacific Daily News reported.

The second autopsy was ordered because of differences of medical opinions between a Naval Hospital radiologist and Guam Medical Examiner Dr. Aurelio Espinola, the newspaper reported.

The radiologist told investigators there were several blood clots on the cerebellum, meaning the baby had suffered multiple injuries before being admitted to the hospital, the newspaper reported. Espinola, who performed the first autopsy, said there was only one blood clot.

Investigating officer Lt. Cmdr. Keith Celebrezze, who is presiding over the Article 32 hearing, has continued it until the autopsy results are available, the newspaper reported. However, those results will be submitted in writing because prosecutors and the investigating attorney are not from Guam.

After the autopsy results are received, Celebrezze will recommend if Shepherd should face a court-martial.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up