Support our mission
 

SEOUL — U.S. Forces Korea commander Gen. B.B. Bell has extended the Combined Federal Campaign through Dec. 15.

“Unfortunately this year’s rigorous operational tempo may have diverted much needed attention away from CFC,” Bell wrote in a Nov. 30 message to his command.

It’s the fourth year the CFC deadline has been extended in South Korea, command spokesman David Oten said Tuesday.

The annual campaign — which solicits donations for more than 2,000 charitable organizations — usually is held in October and November.

“Commanders are required to use this extra time wisely, ensuring that 100 percent of our service members and civilian employees are contacted and offered the opportunity to contribute,” Bell said in the message.

Oten said that as of Tuesday, 99.3 percent of the eligible contributors had been contacted, and the campaign has collected $1,342,605. Last year, the community donated $1.4 million.

According to the CFC Overseas Web site, the campaign began in the 1960s to coordinate solicitation of federal employees at the workplace on behalf of approved charities.

Bell encouraged residents “to remember the military communities where we work and live.”

When a donor selects the contribution code “FSYP,” the funds directly benefit family services and youth programs in the donor’s military community.

“Last year USFK personnel contributed $52,502.36 to ‘FYSP,’” Bell wrote in the message.

Contact your unit CFC representative for more information.

Migrated

Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up