Funding issue keeps Naples from running summer-hire program
May 26, 2003
NAPLES, Italy — College and high school students looking for a summer job here will have to search a little harder.
Naples will not have a summer-hire program this year.
Most bases in Europe support the program, open to dependents of servicemembers and Department of Defense civilians. The jobs include clerical, maintenance and recreational positions and run from mid-June to the end of August.
About 50 to 60 people ages 14 to 23 were hired last year for the positions.
“Naples made the choice not to do this based on their funding,” said Chief Petty Officer Jason Chudy, Navy Region Europe spokesman.
A declining budget for fiscal years 2004 and 2005 means the program likely won’t resume, said Lt. Susan Henson, base spokeswoman.
People do have another option. The Navy Exchange almost always has positions open for American hires, said Kim Perkins, NEX personnel clerk.
The NEX will have a career fair Thursday at the Gricignano Support Site and Friday at Agnano. Prospective employees must be 16 years old.