Four U.S servicemembers killed by roadside bomb in Afghanistan
Four U.S. servicemembers were killed Monday when their vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan, the U.S. military said.
The servicemembers were traveling in an up-armored Humvee at the time of the attack, indicating a powerful blast, military officials said. There was no word on other casualties from the incident, which occurred north of Deh Rawod in Uruzgan province.
The U.S. team was on a patrol with Afghan National Army forces when the attack took place.
Shortly after the blast, the patrol was also attacked with small-arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades, military officials said. Both fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters were called in to provide air support, but no information was immediately available on possible enemy casualties.
“This is a sad and tragic day for us all. These brave servicemembers, along with the Afghan National Army, have made huge advances for security and prosperity in Afghanistan,” Brig. Gen. John Sterling, deputy commander of Combined Joint Task Force-76 said, according to a news release.
“This incident increases our resolve to continue their efforts to ultimate success.”
The names and unit of the servicemembers were being withheld until notification of their families.
Prior to Monday, three American troops had been killed this year in Afghanistan. There are about 18,000 U.S. servicemembers in the country, with many units either newly arrived or about to leave after their yearlong tours.
In separate incidents, one Afghan soldier was reported killed and nine others injured Monday in three bomb explosions across the country, Afghan officials said.
The worst attack came in eastern Kunar province, security officials said.
On Sunday, news services reported two Afghan soldiers were killed and six others went missing after a suspected Taliban attack in Helmand province. That area was the scene of heavy fighting earlier this month that left more than 40 people dead.