Subscribe

U.S. forces are determining whether a Ramadi raid conducted last week resulted in the killing or capture of an insurgent known as the “Prince of IEDs” and a suspected ranking member of al-Qaida in Iraq.

According to U.S. officials, American and Iraqi troops killed six suspected insurgents and arrested three others after a tip led them to a safe house in the embattled Anbar province capital. Troops are now trying to determine the identities of those killed and captured, officials said.

The raid, on May 17, targeted a “site where the al-Qaida leader and his associates were allegedly building improvised explosive devices,” a U.S. military statement read.

When the joint force arrived at the site, a gunfight erupted, with fire coming from several buildings.

“The troops ultimately destroyed the identified safe house, which contained a large amount of lethal material, with precision bombs,” the statement read. “The forces also attacked a second safe haven, neutralizing the threat by ground and damaging the structure with air strikes.”

Among the weapons found were a heavy machine gun, two medium machine guns, rifles, a pistol, artillery shells, bomb-making material, large oxygen tanks configured as bombs, a suicide vest, rocket-propelled grenades and a launcher, officials said.

“Large amounts of discarded automobile parts were also present in the structure, further indicating that cars were likely being configured into [car bombs].”

During the raid, the U.S. and Iraqi troops also found an 8-year-old boy who was allegedly held as a hostage and forced to conduct “minor tasks” around the compound. The boy was returned to his family after the raid, officials said.

The so-called “Prince of IEDs,” who is not named in the report, is alleged to be an insurgent financier, bomb maker and facilitator in Ramadi.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up