RAF MILDENHALL, England — Eight people charged in connection with anti-war protests at RAF Lakenheath have pleaded not guilty to the charges. Seven of them will face trial later this year.
Six of the accused appeared in court last week and denied charges stemming from a break-in that disrupted operations at the home of the 48th Fighter Wing on March 11-12.
Appearing before Bury St. Edmunds magistrates, they denied all charges, according to the Bury Free Press newspaper. The court was told the protesters disrupted activity at the base for two hours.
One of the protesters, Rebecca Everall, 28, from Norfolk, denied the charges of trespassing and disrupting the roadway at the base. The charge was withdrawn.
The five others will face a two-day trial at Sudbury Magistrates’ Court on Sept. 11 and 12. They face charges ranging from trespass to criminal damage.
Another demonstrator arrested for trespassing at the base wants the base’s commander called to testify at her trial.
The newspaper reported that Angela Zelter, 51, of Norfolk, told the magistrates she wants Brig. Gen. John T. Brennan to testify at her trial in August.
Zelter has entered a not guilty plea to a charge of aggravated trespassing for entering the base on March 18.
Clive Fudge, who was arrested with her, has denied a charge of disrupting lawful activity by sitting down on the flight line in front of aircraft, the newspaper reported.
Charges of criminal damage were withdrawn. The two will face a trial at Mildenhall Magistrates’ Court on Aug. 7.