Support our mission

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — Many people by now are breathing sighs of relief because their taxes are done for another year.

But one more tax hurdle remains for people who own vehicles and drive on Okinawa — annual road taxes.

Each year, vehicle owners on Okinawa and mainland Japan must pay their road taxes, and failure to pay them can result in offenders being cited.

The amount that drivers must pay depends on the numerals displayed on their license plates, indicating the size of the vehicle’s engine. The larger the engine, the higher the tax.

As in past years, each military base will have a road tax collection location to serve as a one-stop shop where people can pay their taxes. Once vehicle owners pay their taxes, they’ll receive a base decal sticker to place on the vehicle’s windshield.

Servicemembers who are deployed and will miss the deadline to pay their road taxes will be able to pay when they get back without incurring a penalty, the Marine Corps said.

For more information, call the Joint Service Vehicle Registration Office at DSN 645-7481/3963.

Okinawa 2010 Road TaxesHow much?Road taxes can be determined by the number shown on the top of each vehicle’s license plate, which identifies the vehicle’s engine size.

While anyone can pay road tax for deployed or absent vehicle owners, a power of attorney may be required to obtain a base decal for anyone other than a spouse.

For information, contact a local vehicle registration office.

Plate categories and taxes:40/400, 50/500, 77/78: 7,500 yen

33/300 (4,500 cc & below): 19,000 yen

33/300 (above 4,500 cc): 22,000 yen

11/100,88/800: 32,000 yen

Road tax for mini-cars and motorcycles:Taxes must be paid by May 31 at local city, town or village offices from 8:30 a.m. to noon and from 1 to 5 p.m. A vehicle owner must take a receipt to the JSVRO or tax-collection site to receive a 2010 road tax sticker.

Mini-cars: 3,000 yen

Motorcycles up to 125cc: 500 yen; 126cc and above: 1,000 yen

What to bringDrivers should bring these items when paying road tax at their base:

Base driver’s licenseLiability insuranceJapanese Compulsory InsuranceCurrent base vehicle inspectionJapanese vehicle titleMilitary vehicle registrationCertificate of title of motor vehicle (DD Form 430)SOFA ID cardParking certificate, if applicableAll documents must be original. No copies will be accepted. A new base decal is issued at the end of the tax-paying procedure when road tax is paid on a U.S. installation.

When to payAll locations work on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Camp Courtney: May 6-7 at the Base Theater from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.Kadena Air Base: May 10-14 at the Keystone Theater from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.Camp Foster: May 17-19 at the Base Theater from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.Camp Kinser: May 20 at Surf Side from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.Torii Station: May 21 at Soldiers Center from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.Camp Hansen: May 24 at The Palms from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.Camp Schwab: May 25 at Camp Services from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.All vehicles not deregistered before April 1 must pay road tax.

All vehicles must display a 2010 road tax sticker before June 1.

For more information, contact the Joint Service Vehicle Registration Office at DSN 645-7481/3963.


around the web

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up