DOD to require documentation to replace lost CAC cards

By STARS AND STRIPES Published: February 12, 2014

The Defense Department is about to require documentation to fully account for lost and stolen common access identification cards, officials say.

Under the soon-to-be updated policy, individuals needing a new card will have to obtain a signed document on official letterhead from their local security office or sponsoring command, or a police report that explains the card has been lost or stolen.

The policy is currently in place but has not been mandated by CAC card-issuing locations, Sam Yousef, identity and benefits policy program manager at the Defense Human Resources Activity, said Tuesday in a DoD statement.

The change will take effect for all military and civilian employees in late March or early April.

“This will not only get the department in full compliance with our policy, but it will also create better accountability for individuals who have had their cards lost or stolen,” Yousef said. “It creates better awareness with our local security offices [and] our individuals that are sponsoring our contractors for common access cards.”


Scanning a common access card.


comments Join the conversation and share your voice!  

from around the web