Support our mission
 

PYEONGTAEK, South Korea — A U.S. soldier accused of striking a South Korean woman in the head with a bottle last month may have to wait until after the new year for a judge’s decision in the assault case against him.

Gwangju prosecutors have asked a district court judge to fine Sgt. Montez Clark 2 million won (about $2,154).

Police said Clark struck and injured the woman with a beer bottle Nov. 5 after she objected to sexually provocative remarks he’d made to her. The woman sustained head injuries, police said.

Police traced Clark through cell phone records, they have said.

Clark is assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 1st Air Defense Artillery Regiment at Camp Carroll in Waegwan. At the time of the alleged attack, the unit was based at Gwangju Air Base. The battalion is part of the 35th Air Defense Artillery Brigade.

Clark was scheduled to rotate to the United States, but at the request of South Korean authorities the U.S. military is keeping him on the peninsula until the case is resolved.

An official at Gwangju District Court told Stars and Stripes on Tuesday the judge probably will rule in the case early next month. It will be up to the judge to decide the amount of any fine, the official said.

The 35th Air Defense Artillery Brigade is awaiting outcome of the Gwangju case before deciding what disciplinary action, if any, to take against Clark, the U.S. military has said.

Hwang Hae-rym contributed to this report.

Migrated

around the web

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up