YOMITAN, Okinawa — Two U.S. servicemembers died in separate off-base incidents on Okinawa early Saturday.

A 27-year-old Army soldier died early Saturday when a car in which he was a passenger ran into a steel pole along Highway 130, near Camp Foster.

In the northern Okinawa city of Nago, a cab driver said he saw a Marine jump to his death from a highway bridge.

An Okinawa police spokesman said Army Sgt. Richard Thomas Smith was in the passenger seat of the car that ran into a signpost in front of the Marine Corps Base Fire Station at 4:48 a.m. He was rushed to the U.S. Naval Hospital on nearby Camp Lester, where he was pronounced dead about two hours later.

Three soldiers involved in the accident were assigned to an Army unit on Kadena Air Base, the police spokesman said. He did not release their names or their unit. He said the driver, 39, was treated for minor injuries.

A back seat passenger, 25, was being treated at the hospital’s intensive care unit Saturday and was listed in stable condition, the police spokesman said.

The accident remains under investigation by Okinawa and military police.

Earlier in the morning, Okinawa police in Nago responded to a report of an apparent suicide by a Marine assigned to the III Marine Expeditionary Force.

An Okinawa cab driver told police he picked up the man, who appeared to be in his 20s, about 2 a.m. in downtown Nago. He said his fare directed him to drive to an isolated area in the city’s Yofuke district.

The driver said the young man, dressed in civilian clothes and apparently inebriated, then paid him, got out of the cab, walked to a nearby bridge and jumped.

The cabbie told police he had become suspicious of the man’s request to stop the cab in “the middle of nowhere” and witnessed him falling off the bridge.

Police and local firefighters later found the Marine’s body in the bushes below, the police spokesman said.

No further details were available from Marines, and the deceased’s name was being withheld pending notification of next of kin. Okinawa police are investigating the incident in cooperation with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.

The Okinawa police spokesman said the death appeared to be a suicide.

“We do not believe any foul play is involved,” he said.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up