Support our mission

A York woman was found guilty last week of poisoning her husband to confuse him and then stealing money from his elderly mother, a British newspaper reported.

Heather Mook, 57, duped her husband, John, into taking the antidepressant drug amitriptyline and then ripped off his mother for 43,000 pounds, the Guardian newspaper reported. The money has not yet been recovered.

After Mook’s conviction in York Crown Court, it was revealed that she had a previous conviction for poisoning her daughter, Teresa, then 7, in 1982. She crumbled an antidepressant into the child’s food, which led to her requiring hospital care, the report said.

Police also revealed that Mook, called a career confidence trickster, had a string of previous convictions for dishonesty and deception, including a 5-million-pound luxury car and property scam, the report said.

Mook will be sentenced following the end of a psychiatric report and pre-sentence report, according to the paper.

Serial killer nurse must serve 30 years in jail, high court saysThe British high court upheld last week a minimum sentence of 30 years in jail for serial killer nurse Beverly Allitt for the murder and abuse of children in her care.

In 1993, Allitt, dubbed the “Angel of Death,” was given 13 life sentences for murdering four children, attempting to murder three others and causing grievous bodily harm with intent to six other people at Grantham and Kesteven hospital in Lincolnshire, according to the Guardian newspaper.

The 39-year-old Allitt was diagnosed with Munchausen syndrome by proxy when she carried out the attacks between 1991 and 1993. She is being held at the Rampton high-security hospital in Nottingham, the report said.

MSbP is a condition described as a form of child abuse in which a carrier deliberately induces or falsely reports illnesses in children to focus attention on them, the report said.

Allitt murdered the four children by injecting them with high doses of insulin, the report added.

Female priest decides to step down after second arson attackA female parish priest in Cornwall is stepping down from her church position after a second arson attack, BBC News reported last week.

A lighted candle was pushed through the window of the Rev. Yvonne Hobson’s car, but failed to set the vehicle on fire. This came after the first arson on her home and a series of hate letters sent to her professing the dislike for women priests, according to the report.

The 56-year-old Anglican priest has decided to take a two-week break from her duties at Paul Church near Newlyn, the report said.


Stripes in 7

around the web

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up