Coast Guard search underway for 26-year-old who went overboard from Carnival cruise
By JAMI GANZ | New York Daily News | Published: October 26, 2019
(Tribune News Service) — A Coast Guard search is underway for a 26-year-old Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard Thursday evening.
The passenger dropped from the Carnival Dream ship hours after it left Galveston, Texas, for a four-day cruise, Carnival told the New York Daily News in a statement.
"Based on camera footage, it appears the guest jumped from his stateroom balcony," Carnival continued.
The vessel quickly initiated search and rescue procedures, including returning to the area near the fall and notifying the Coast Guard.
When the ship was about 47 miles southeast of Galveston around at 8:45 p.m., the Coast Guard received reports of the overboard passenger, according to a press release from the coastal defense branch, which detailed those involved in the search, including a Good Samaritan vessel.
"The US Coast Guard released Carnival from the search overnight," Carnival said in the statement. "We are saddened by this outcome and the onboard CareTeam is assisting the guest's family."
Representatives for Carnival did not release the passenger's name, citing respect for his family.
Following its release from the search, the ship continued its originally planned itinerary and should arrive in Cozumel Saturday.
Earlier this month, the Coast Guard transported to a 23-year-old male to a New Orleans hospital in critical condition after he sustained "multiple significant injuries after he fell aboard the cruise ship Carnival Valor," near Venice, La., according to a Coast Guard release.
(c)2019 New York Daily News
Visit New York Daily News at www.nydailynews.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.