Support our mission

SCHWEINFURT, Germany — Eleven dining facility workers at Conn Barracks were sent to the hospital Wednesday morning after a worker mistakenly mixed bleach with another cleaning agent in a bucket.

One of the workers was preparing to clean the facility when he inadvertently mixed the chemicals, according to the garrison safety officer Eduard Sauer, who was assisting officials in an investigation of the incident.

Dining facility officials ordered all employees to evacuate immediately and called emergency responders.

All of the workers affected by the cleaning product fumes were transported to local hospitals. Their conditions were not released by Army officials.

The workers were cleaning the facility in preparation for the return of a Schweinfurt-based unit that is deployed to Iraq. The dining facility was not open at the time of the incident, according to Mark Heeter, a public affairs spokesman.


Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up