Subscribe

WASHINGTON — President Bush on Monday asked for $42 billion more to fund combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan over the next 12 months, bumping the total bill to nearly $190 billion for fiscal 2008 alone.

Bush said the funding was needed for “urgent military necessities” and urged lawmakers to act on the request quickly.

“They ought to make sure our troops have what it takes to succeed,” he said in a press conference from the White House. “Our men and women on the front lines should not be caught in the middle of partisan disagreements in Washington, D.C.

“I often hear that war critics oppose my decisions, but still support the troops. I’ll take them at their word, and this is the chance to show it.”

Earlier this year Bush had outlined $147 billion in supplemental funding and said lawmakers should already be familiar with much of the new request.

The new total reflects $11 billion more to pay for 7,200 Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles and other armored transportation and $3.1 billion to combat roadside bombs.

Another $8.8 billion would go toward replacing damaged and worn-out equipment used by the services overseas, and $1 billion more for military construction projects “including airfield improvements, roads, hardening of buildings, and other mission-critical facilities” to protect combat forces.

An additional $1.7 billion would be set aside for the care and recovery of troops wounded overseas.

Last fiscal year’s supplemental request for combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan totaled nearly $120 billion, far below the $189.3 billion requested for the Department of Defense this fiscal year. Another $7.2 billion was included for the Department of State and other agencies’ operations overseas.

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up