Quantcast

Bomb threat leads to DODEA school evacuation, cancellations on Guam

A bomb threat forced an evacuation at Guam High School, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018.

COURTESY OF DODEA

By STARS AND STRIPES Published: February 22, 2018

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — A bomb threat caused an evacuation and after-school activity cancellations at the military-operated Guam High School on Thursday afternoon.

The called-in threat occurred just after 2:30 p.m., after most students had already left for the day, according to a Guam Homeland Security statement and a Facebook post by the school.

The Guam Police Department and Navy police conducted a sweep of the facility with K-9 units, Guam Homeland Security said. Nothing was found and the school was cleared shortly before 5 p.m.

“All student athletes were maintained away from the building during this time with access to shelter, water, restrooms etc.,” the Guam High Facebook post said.

KUAM News reported that homes in the surrounding area were also evacuated.

Athletics scheduled for Thursday evening were canceled but will be rescheduled soon, said Marc Calero, Department of Defense Education Activity Pacific spokesman.

This isn’t the first bomb scare to hit the school. In 2016, a threat was reportedly written on a bathroom stall, which resulted in a school evacuation and delayed buses.

news@stripes.com

from around the web