Support our mission

CAMP RED CLOUD, South Korea — Some Army base education centers in the Pacific were scrambling to get their contracted employees back into the offices following a five-day work stoppage.

A stop-work order issued by a U.S. judge prevented Serco contractors from working at education centers throughout the world as of Jan. 11, with the exception of Europe.

On Tuesday, a judge ruled the workers could return Wednesday.

Heritage of America, a competing contractor that had disputed Serco’s contract with the Department of the Army, had asked that the contract be re-awarded.

James Campbell, Area I education services officer, said Wednesday he was trying to contact his 20 employees who had been affected by the stoppage.

“We hope to have a full working staff [Thursday],” he said.

Only three people were legally allowed to work during the work stoppage at four Area I education centers, Campbell said, and college classes for on-base universities are to begin next week.

On Okinawa, officials said the three people who had been affected on Torii Station were back at work Wednesday.

Officials at Camp Zama, Japan, were unable to comment when contacted late in the afternoon.

Serco, based in England, employs administrative staff for governments and defense departments in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Australia and other countries.

twitter Email

Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up