Support our mission
 

SEOUL — South Korean police said they continued their investigation Tuesday into an alleged Nov. 3 assault of an off-base taxi driver by three U.S. soldiers.

A Gangnam District policeman confirmed Tuesday at least one U.S. soldier was being questioned in connection with the incident. He was unable to confirm how many soldiers were to be questioned Tuesday afternoon.

Police have said they detained two soldiers, a 22-year-old sergeant and 27-year-old private first class, on Nov. 3, but a third suspect fled the scene. Police said one soldier is stationed at Camp Stanley and the other is stationed at Camp Humphreys.

Police said the soldiers ditched a taxi around 3 a.m. after running up about a $93 fare. Police said the driver chased the soldiers and they beat and choked him.

Police said that people witnessing the attack called for help, that the soldiers paid the fare before police arrived, and that one police officer suffered minor injuries when attempting to apprehend the soldiers.

Eighth Army spokesman Lt. Col. Brodrick Bailey offered only a brief statement when queried late Tuesday afternoon, declining to confirm whether the soldiers were being questioned, whether the third soldier had been identified, what units the soldiers belong to and whether they had been placed on any kind of restriction as a result of the investigation.

“The investigation into this case is ongoing and we are still cooperating fully with the Korean National Police,” was Bailey’s one-line response to the query.

Migrated

around the web

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up