Support our mission

OSAN AIR BASE, South Korea — Officials filed criminal charges Thursday against the Air Force police officer who allegedly left Osan Air Base with a loaded handgun last month.

Airman 1st Class Charles T. Walker of the 51st Security Forces Squadron will face court-martial at a date still to be set, said Air Force Master Sgt. Paul A. Kilgallon, a spokesman for Osan’s 51st Fighter Wing.

Walker allegedly drew and fired the weapon while inside an off-base residence, prosecutors said Thursday. They did not disclose whose house it was but said those details would be presented at the trial, Kilgallon said.

There were no injuries in the incident that led police to set up roadblocks in the Pyeongtaek area while Walker was at large.

The Air Force has said Walker checked out a 9 mm handgun from his unit’s armory and left base with two 15-round magazines sometime between 10 and 11 p.m. Jan. 30.

At one point, he phoned his wife, who phoned her husband’s squadron and said he was off base, officials have said.

His squadron’s crisis negotiation team made phone contact with Walker and persuaded him to return to base.

He spent part of the night at his mother’s home in Pyeongtaek, officials have said.

Walker is charged with wrongful appropriation, failure to obey a lawful order or regulation, willful discharge of a weapon, and carrying a concealed weapon. He has been in pretrial confinement at the Eighth U.S. Army Confinement Facility since early this month.


Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up