Quantcast

UN: 4 allegations against South African UN troops in Congo

People gather outside the UN compound in the Congo Ituri province capital Bunia on Aug. 10, 2016.

JEROME DELAY/AP

By ASSOCIATED PRESS Published: February 12, 2018

UNITED NATIONS — The U.N. says it has received four allegations of misconduct against South African peacekeepers in Congo — three involving sexual exploitation of women and one alleging violence against a 17-year-old boy.

U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said the allegations were received last week by the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo. He said the U.N. welcomes the South African Defense Army's commitment to investigate the allegations.

According to information at this time, Dujarric said the three allegations of sexual exploitation allegedly took place in Sake, Beni and Goma in eastern Congo's volatile North Kivu region "and involve adult victims, one of which includes a paternity and child support claim."

He said the alleged attack on the 17-year-old boy took place in conflict-wracked Kasai and he was referred to UNICEF for immediate assistance.

<related>

0

comments Join the conversation and share your voice!  

from around the web