Support our mission

KAISERSLAUTERN, Germany — The Army specialist who was detained by German authorities on suspicion of manslaughter earlier this month has been released to her unit and has not been charged by the military in the death of her husband.

The authorities transported Spc. Latasha Ricks of the 1st Personnel Command to the confinement facility on Coleman Barracks in Mannheim and released her to the U.S. Army on April 3.

Ricks is not being held at the facility as the Army’s investigation continues.

“At this time, the command has determined that lesser forms of restraint are adequate,” said Elke Herberger, U.S. Army Europe spokeswoman.

On April 3, German prosecutors turned over Ricks’ case to the U.S. Army. German authorities arrested her on April 2 for allegedly stabbing her husband to death during a domestic dispute.

The incident took place at the couple’s off-post house in Sulzbachtal, a village about nine miles north of Kaiserslautern. Ricks is 25, and her husband, an American civilian, was 29, according to a Kaiserslautern police news release.

The victim was stabbed several times in the belly and heart, according to German media reports.

On April 2, a few minutes past midnight, German police found Ricks next to the victim, trying to stop his bleeding with a towel, according to reports in the German newspaper Die Rheinpfalz. The emergency physician arrived, but resuscitation was not successful, German media reported.

During interrogation by a German judge, Ricks said that she was trying to protect herself from her husband, German media reported. Her husband had hit her several times in the past, particularly when he was drunk, according to the media.

When she spoke of separating on the evening of April 1, he again threatened violence, according to the media. After a long fight, she pulled some knives from a knife box and defended herself, local media reported.

Neighbors called the police, who also found two children in the apartment, according to German news reports. A 5-year-old girl and 6-year-old boy were asleep when the police entered the apartment, German media reported.

Stripes in 7

around the web

Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up