Support our mission
 

SEOUL — With the 2008 war funding still unresolved in Congress, the 8th U.S. Army has submitted a plan for proposed budget and personnel cuts.

Army Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Richard Cody ordered commanders to figure out their weekly costs of minimum essential operations and to develop plans to use soldiers to replace civilians and contractors who might have to be laid off around Feb. 23, according to The Associated Press.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates warned in a speech last week in Texas that as many as 100,000 civilians and 100,000 contractors could be laid off, according to AP.

Eighth Army spokesman Lt. Col. Brodrick Bailey refused to provide any details on the command’s plan Wednesday, including how many, if any, civilians and contractors might be laid off if the funding doesn’t come through.

“The information submitted is pre-decisional so it would not be prudent to give those details now,” Bailey wrote in an e-mail on Wednesday. He also declined to state what his command’s estimate was for maintaining essential operations.

About 4,350 civilians and contractors are employed by 8th Army, Bailey said.

“If and when a decision is made to move forward with the furloughs we will communicate the details immediately with our work force,” Bailey said.

During Gates’ speech last week, AP reported, he said employees must receive 60 days’ notice before they are laid off, meaning notices must be sent in mid-December.

“We will meet the Army requirement while ensuring that we meet the needs of our families and mission requirements,” Bailey stated in the e-mail.

Migrated

Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up