Support our mission

GRAFENWÖHR, Germany — Three 2nd Cavalry (Stryker) Regiment soldiers involved in a 2006 brawl in Amberg were court-martialed and thrown out of the Army last year, according to information recently released by U.S. Army Europe.

The three were involved in what German police described as an “unprovoked attack” on a group of eight Germans in downtown Amberg on Oct. 29, 2006. The Germans were allegedly beaten with retractable clubs.

The brawl left three young German men in the hospital and led to a crackdown on illegal weapons on-post at Vilseck.

Stars and Stripes has repeatedly asked for court-martial information regarding the three soldiers, but results of those court proceedings were only released last week. The Army gave no reason for delaying the release of the documents.

According to the information, Sgt. Joseph Martin pleaded guilty at a court-martial on July 10 to two charges of carrying and brandishing a baton in a threatening way.

He pleaded guilty to brandishing a baton at “Ms. J.D.” in the Amberg area on Oct. 29, 2006, chasing a “Mr. T.B.” with it, and striking a private with the baton in the Amberg area on Oct. 15 of that year in a manner likely to produce death or grievous harm.

Martin was found not guilty of fighting with three men outside a bar in Amberg on Oct. 29, according to Hilde Patton, V Corps spokeswoman. He was reduced in rank to private, ordered to forfeit $400 of pay per month and confined for three months, she said.

Sgt. Erik Ramirez pleaded guilty at a court-martial on April 3, to wrongfully possessing an expandable baton in a threatening way but was found not guilty of kicking a man in the body and head during the brawl. He was also acquitted of illegally importing and stealing U.S. Government ammunition and explosives, Patton said.

Ramirez, who served 122 days in pre-sentence confinement, was reduced in rank to specialist, she said.

Sgt. Sean Beveridge pleaded guilty at a court-martial on May 14 to kicking a man in the head during the brawl. He also pleaded guilty to striking a Pfc. “C.W.” repeatedly in the face while he was unconscious on or about Oct. 15, 2006.

Beveridge was reduced in rank to private, ordered to forfeit $867 of pay per month for eight months and confined for six months, she said.

All three soldiers were administratively separated from the Army, she said.

author picture
Seth Robson is a Tokyo-based reporter who has been with Stars and Stripes since 2003. He has been stationed in Japan, South Korea and Germany, with frequent assignments to Iraq, Afghanistan, Haiti, Australia and the Philippines.
twitter Email

Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up