Support our mission

YONGSAN GARRISON, South Korea — Tired of hearing American family members complain about the lack of jobs on Yongsan Garrison, Roxanne Chancellor decided to do something about it: She’s holding a job fair.

Chancellor, the garrison’s Child and Youth Services coordinator, is looking to fill 24 part-time positions, and she hopes the Jan. 22 job fair, from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the School Age Services Building, will do the trick.

She said she got the idea during a recent Army Family Action Plan conference in which family members brought up the lack of jobs.

She said many family members are looking at jobs such as those at the Post Exchange, which have a high number of positions for South Korean employees because of the Status of Forces Agreement.

“We always need staff,” Chancellor said.

All of her open positions are for American citizens.

She said the fair also will streamline the application process, something people had complained about in the past.

“If we do this, then that excuse goes away,” she said.

In addition to helping people apply for the Child Development Center jobs, there also will be personnel on hand to discuss opportunities to host in-home day care or teach children special skills on a contract basis.

Chancellor said the normal process — which involves getting applications approved with the Civilian Personnel Advisory Center, criminal background checks and a medical examination — can take up to two months.

But people applying at the fair will find CPAC representatives, medical personnel, military police — all those needed to speed up getting a job. She hopes that the application process will be pared down to less than a week.

Applicants who are hired receive $9.35 an hour, medical and dental insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan, sick leave and personal leave.

The CDC also offers employees the opportunity to attend Central Texas College classes in early childhood education.

There are other, less tangible benefits, according to employees.

“It’s a unique environment,” said CYS trainer Robin Winston when asked about working with military children.

She said deployments, exercises and frequent moves give the children a broad range of experience and make them well traveled.

“Their experience becomes my experience,” she said.

Winston said people hired by CYS undergo extensive training prior to being put to work. She’s hoping to see some enthusiastic faces at the job fair.

“Come with an open mind, motivation to learn, to be trained and to succeed,” she said.

Instructors with special skills soughtYONGSAN GARRISON, South Korea — While Yongsan Garrison’s Child and Youth Services is looking to fill 24 part-time positions, those aren’t the only opportunities available at the upcoming job fair.

Representatives from the Schools of Knowledge, Inspiration, Exploration and Skills Unlimited also will be on hand to talk about how people with special skills can teach children on a contract basis through CYS.

“We’re always looking for instructors,” said CYS instructional programs specialist Aundrea Witt.

SKIES Unlimited offers instruction to local children in programs such martial arts, music and photography.

Instructors set the class hours and prices. They earn 70 percent of the fees and the remaining 30 percent goes to CYS.

To qualify for the program, Witt said, instructors should have a certification in the subject they’d like to teach. She said exceptions could be made on a case-by-case basis when proficiency in a skill is demonstrated.

“For example, if someone is interested in teaching a class on quilting, there’s no degree that goes with that,” Witt said.

Witt said her program is seeking people who can give guitar, drama and voice lessons, but there is no limit on the subjects that can be taught.

Applicants must be U.S. or South Korean citizens and able to pass a criminal background check. Decisions on awarding contracts to third-country members of the U.S. Forces Korea community can be made on a case-by-case basis, Witt said.

— Jimmy Norris

CYS requirementsTo work for Child and Youth Services, applicants must:

Be U.S. citizens (South Koreans can work for CYS, but no positions are being offered at the job fair.)Speak and read EnglishBe at least 18 years oldHave a high school diploma or equivalentPass a criminal background checkBe free of tuberculosisBe able to lift 25 pounds, bend, stoop and stand—Source: CYS


Stripes in 7



around the web


Sign Up for Daily Headlines

Sign-up to receive a daily email of today’s top military news stories from Stars and Stripes and top news outlets from around the world.

Sign up