Glossary of moving-related terms



Advance Pay - This allowance is sometimes approved to cover extraordinary expenses associated with a permanent change of station (PCS) move.  The service member must apply to his or her commander for approval for this advance.  If approved, the Service member is typically required to pay it back within twelve months.  It will be deducted from the Service member's paycheck over this period of time.  Advance pay of Basic Allowance for Housing and Overseas Housing Allowance are also possible, upon approval.

Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) - BAH is given to service members who live off of the installation to offset the cost of housing and housing-related expenses, such as utilities.  The rate received depends on rank, dependency status, and where the service member is stationed.

Command Sponsored Dependent Entry Approval - Authorization for a military dependent to reside at an overseas location with the military sponsor.  With this authorization comes the benefit of having the government cover transportation to and from the duty station.

CONUS - The 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia.

CPPSO - Consolidated Personal Property Shipping Office.

Dislocation Allowance (DLA) - DLA is provided to both single service members and those with dependents to assist in defraying some of the out-of-pocket, miscellaneous costs associated with moving.  DLA is paid in a lump sum based on rank and dependency status. 

Do It Yourself (DITY) Move - A move in which the service member completes aspects of the move without government transportation assistance.  There are different types of DITY moves that range from a partial DITY move, in which the government provides some assistance, to a complete DITY move, in which the service member completes every aspect of the move without government assistance.  Financial reimbursement is given for DITY moves according to established military guidelines.

Family Separation Allowance (FSA) - If a service member is separated from his or her dependents for over thirty-one days, he or she may apply for this allowance.  This allowance is given only if the dependents are prohibited from accompanying the service member to the duty station.

Household Goods (HHG) - Property, unless specifically excluded, associated with the home and all personal effects belonging to an employee and immediate family members on the effective date of the employee's change of official station orders that legally may be accepted and transported by a commercial HHG carrier. Examples of items included are professional books, papers, and equipment (PBP&E), spare parts of a POV, consumable goods where the Department of State has declared that they are necessary, vehicles other than POVs, and ultra light vehicles for recreation or sport. Not included are personal baggage when carried on a ticket, automobiles, trucks, vans, etc., live animals and other similar articles.

JPPSO - Joint Personal Property Shipping Office.

Monetary Allowance in Lieu of Transportation (MALT) - This is the amount paid for mileage when a service or family member drives to the new duty station.  It is based on the Official Military Table of Distances. 

Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA) - MIHA is designed to reimburse overseas costs associated with living in privately-owned or privately-leased quarters. It addresses three specific needs: one-time rent-related expenses, modification of homes for security protection, and the initial cost of making a home habitable.  This is available outside of the continental United States (OCONUS) only. MIHA rates change with currency rates and location. 

Non-Temporary Storage (NTS) - Long-term storage.  This is only authorized under specific circumstances, such as some overseas assignments or retirement.

OCONUS - Outside of the continental United States.

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) - This allowance is given to offset the cost of housing for service members living off of the installation for an overseas duty assignment.  Rates are determined by rank and dependency status.  OHA rates have three components: rent, utilities/recurring maintenance allowance, and MIHA. 

Per Diem Allowance - An allowance paid daily instead of actual expenses for lodging, meals and related incidental expenses associated with orders.

Permanent Change of Station (PCS) - A permanent transfer from one duty station to another.

Permissive Temporary Duty (TDY) - After receiving PCS orders, service members can be approved for up to ten days for a house hunting trip prior to the move.  Although service members are not charged for these days of leave, they are not eligible for travel reimbursement during this time.

Relocation Assistance Program (RAP) - RAP is designated to provide comprehensive services and support related to relocation.

Space "A" Travel - A benefit available to service members, retirees, and their families.  A service member can travel for a minimal fee on a DoD aircraft after official personnel and cargo for that aircraft are loaded.  The "A" stands for available.  Space "A" Travel is also known as "military hops."

Sponsorship Program - This is a mentoring program available within all military branches under the guidance of unit leadership and RAP.  Through this program, a service member moving to a new duty station is assigned to a service member at their destination location who will provide direct personal assistance throughout the relocation process.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) - Financial compensation for lodging and meal expenses incurred when a service member and/or dependents are required to utilize temporary lodging OCONUS due to a PCS move.

Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) - Financial compensation for lodging and meal expenses incurred when a service member and/or dependents are required to utilize temporary lodging in CONUS due to a PCS move.

TMO - Transportation Management Office.

TO - Transportation Office.

--Military Homefront