Army Tuition Assistance
By MILITARY.COM Published: July 11, 2011
Army Tuition Assistance (TA) provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a soldier's professional and personal self-development goals. The program is open to nearly all soldiers (officers, warrant officers, enlisted) including Army Reserve, and Army National Guard on active duty.
There are some restrictions to who may use Army Tuition Assistance and what courses it can be used for. Download AR 621-5 (Army Continuing Education System Regulations) to get further details.
The maximum amount paid for tuition assistance: 100% Tuition and Fees
Not to exceed:
- $250 @ Semester Credit Hour, or
- $166 @ Quarter Credit Hour, and
- $4500 @ Fiscal Year
The Army Continuing Education System has launched a new automated tuition assistance project. The TA automation will allow active duty soldiers to request TA and enroll in courses online. This will speed up the enrollment process and minimize wait times at Army Education Centers. Active Duty soldiers are now able to request TA online through GoArmyEd.
The New Online Application Process
The following key points and GoArmyEd procedures are now in effective:
- Soldiers must request TA through www.GoArmyEd.com, prior to the course start date or before the school’s late registration period.
- TA is requested on a course-by-course basis.
- GoArmyEd will notify the Soldier whether the TA is approved or not. If the TA request is not approved, GoArmyEd will advise the Soldier of the reason and next steps.
- All drops/withdrawals must take place through GoArmyEd. Soldiers who receive an "F" grade will be required to repay TA. Soldiers who are unable to complete a course due to military duties must ensure that they withdraw from the course through GoArmyEd to ensure that they will not be charged.
- If the Soldier wishes to take a class with a school that does not participate in the electronic GoArmyEd course schedule, a TA Request form must be completed in GoArmyEd. The TA request will be routed to an Army Education Counselor/Reserve ESS to be reviewed and approved. Soldiers should allow extra time for this. If TA is approved, the Soldier will be notified by email. Soldiers must print the approved TA Request Form from GoArmyEd, provide the form to the school and enroll directly with the school.
- Soldiers must submit a new, signed TA SOU each year (SFC and above may sign for themselves and the commander). No further TA will be authorized until the TA SOU is approved. GoArmyEd will send a notice to students 90 days before the due date.
- Further details regarding TA procedures are outlined in GoArmyEd Training.
For general information about the Army's automated TA process, visit www.GoArmyEd.com.