Navy continues investigation into Bahrain shooting
January 24, 2008
KAISERSLAUTERN, Germany — The Navy is still investigating last year’s shooting of two female sailors at the U.S. Navy base in Bahrain. The alleged shooter remains in critical condition.
The investigation into the Oct. 22 slaying of two security officers in a base barracks remains open, said Millie Perera, a spokeswoman for Naval Support Activity Bahrain.
The Navy has released few additional details into the incident, which shocked many people on base.
Fellow security forces member Clarence Jackson allegedly shot and killed Seamen Anamarie Camacho and Genesia Mattril Gresham before turning the gun on himself in an attempt to kill himself, according to base sources.
He remains at the Navy hospital in Bethesda, Md., and has not been charged with any crime in relation to the incident.
Shortly after the shooting, Navy officials had said that if Jackson does not survive, the Navy would close the case without making charges.
Jackson and Gresham, 19, of Lithonia, Ga., had a relationship at some point during their time at the base.
Sources who would only speak on the condition of anonymity have said that Jackson had made threats against her in the past and was ordered to stay away from Gresham before the shooting occurred.
Gresham and Camacho, 20, of Panama City, Fla., had been in the Navy only a short time and had been stationed in Bahrain for less than a year.
More than 350 people attended a memorial service on the base in Bahrain for the women one week after their deaths.