Recognizing suicide risk
By STARS AND STRIPES Published: April 24, 2012
Warning signs of suicide risk
- Hopelessness, feeling like there’s no way out.
- Anxiety, agitation, mood swings.
- Rage or anger.
- Engaging in risky activities without thinking.
- Increasing drug or alcohol abuse.
- Withdrawing from family and friends.
The following signs require immediate intervention:
- Thinking about hurting or killing yourself.
- Looking for ways to kill yourself.
- Talking about death, dying or suicide.
- Self-destructive behavior with drugs or weapons.
How to reach the Veterans Crisis Line
Text: Send a message to 838255.
Phone: Dial 1-800-273-8255 (Press 1 for the dedicated veterans hotline).
Chat: Visit veteranscrisisline.net.