Run for the Fallen remembers Arizona military personnel
The Arizona Daily Star
TUCSON — Arizona military personnel who sacrificed their lives in the line of duty are being remembered this weekend at the inaugural Run for the Fallen in Arizona.
A flag-bearing relay team of 20 active-duty service members, many from Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, are running a 146-mile route from Tucson to Phoenix.
At each mile marker, they stop to read the name and biography of a fallen Arizona soldier and present a flag to his or her family and friends who are waiting there.
The three-day run began in Tucson Friday morning. It is expected to be completed by noon Sunday. A final ceremony for the event is scheduled around that time at the Wesley Bolin Memorial Plaza in Phoenix.
The event is being organized by the Arizona chapter of Honor and Remember, a national group dedicated to remembering the lives of fallen military personnel.
Among the Arizona soldiers being remembered are 28 from Tucson who died in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan:
- Sgt. Benjamin W. Biskie, Army
- Staff Sgt. Timothy L. Bowles, Air Force
- Sgt. Aron C. Blum, Marines
- Sgt. Sean K. Cataudella, Army
- Cpl. Jeffrey D. Lawrence, Marines
- Sgt. Victor M. Cota, Army
- Pvt. Joseph F. Gonzales, Army
- Chief Warrant Officer Robert C. Hammett, Army
- Sgt. 1st Class Todd M. Harris, Army
- Sgt. 1st Class Russell P. Borea, Army
- Master Sgt. Kenneth E. Hunt Jr., Marine
- Sgt. Thomas F. Allison, Army
- Master Sgt. David L. Hurt, Army
- Hospitalman Chadwick Thomas Kenyon, Navy
- Pvt. 1st Class Sam W. Huff, Army
- Lance Cpl. Joshua E. Lucero, Marines
- Sgt. Martin A. Lugo, Army
- Spc. Alan E. McPeek, Army
- Spc. Christopher J. Moon, Army
- Spc. Scott J. Mullen, Army
- Pvt. Damian Lopez Rodriguez, Army
- Sgt. Tina Safaira Time, Army Reserves
- Spc. Robert Oliver Unruh, Army
- Sgt. Mark Richard Vecchione, Army
- Lance Cpl. Robert Paul Zurheide Jr., Marines
- Staff Sgt. Orion N. Sparks, Army
- Sgt. Justin T. Gallegos, Army
- Sgt. Charles R. Browning, Army National Guard
For more information about the event, go to azrunforthefallen. The website includes the scheduled route of the runners.