Lackland instructor pleads guilty to 6 charges in sex case
Airmen from Lackland Air Base stand in formation during a change of command ceremony at Fort Sam Houston’s MacArthur Parade Field, May 29, 2013.
San Antonio Express-News
A former Air Force basic training instructor pleaded guilty Monday to adultery and having unprofessional relationships with women in the latest misconduct scandal at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland.
Senior Airman Christopher Oliver will battle other charges that include the most serious allegations - sexual assault, aggravated sexual contact and forcible sodomy.
An Air Force document detailing allegations against Oliver said many of the incidents occurred two years ago, when he was a staff sergeant. Prosecutors said he had relationships with four women from March to September 2011.
He initially saw the women while they were in basic training, the Air Force said, and continued those relationships while they were in technical school.
Charged with having sex with at least three women while he was married, Oliver is accused of using his rank and authority to gain sexual favors.
The Air Force accuses him of aggravated sexual assault with one woman, identified as Airman 3, by placing her in fear of her career when they had sex. Another charge, aggravated sexual contact, states that he used his rank to coerce her into letting him grope her groin.
The Air Force also accused him of forcibly sodomizing the woman.
He only admitted to having an unprofessional relationship with Airman 3 and that he committed adultery with her. Oliver also pleaded guilty to committing adultery with two other women, identified as Airman 1 and Airman 2.
His court-martial began Monday morning while Brig. Gen. Robert LaBrutta opened a daylong sexual-assault prevention and response stand- down for around 8,000 military and civilian workers assigned to the 502nd Air Base Wing.
The Defense Department ordered the services to hold such events by July 1.
LaBrutta, commander of the wing and Joint Base San Antonio, spoke to troops at Lackland at 8:30 a.m., and was to make similar appearances at joint bases Fort Sam Houston and Randolph. Breakout sessions with smaller groups were to follow.
The pause to review sexual assault prevention policies and practices comes amid a scandal that so far has ensnared 33 basic training instructors at Lackland and 67 recruits and technical training students. It is the worst scandal in the Air Force's history.