ADAMS — More than 30 days after their sale at auction, a collection of Army vehicles have not yet been released from Dobbin’s Auto Salvage Yard.
Investigators with the state Attorney General’s Office are continuing to research details of the vehicle’s ownership prior to coming to Dobbin’s Auto Salvage Yard, and have also expressed concerns about the safety of driving the vehicles.
Multiple calls to Gordon O. Dobbin, the owner of the yard off of Route 11, were unsuccessful on Tuesday and Wednesday.
An office spokesman based in New York City said Tuesday that there were no new information to release about their inquiry. The spokesman did not reply to a followup email asking what was left to determine before a decision could be made about their release.
The spokesman previously told the Times that the vehicles may have been meant to be destroyed.
Each of the 10 classic Army AMC General and M151 jeeps sold at the May 4 auction at prices ranging from $4,000 to $7,000. Customers then were directed to deposit 10 percent of the price until the sale was formally approved. A collection of military cargo trucks and tag-alongs have also been held up in the Attorney General’s Office inquiry.
Though investigators expressed concerns about a lack of titles for the vehicles, bidders were told through the sale process the vehicles did not have the documentation, and that they would receive a bill of sale instead.
Potential bidders were also told that the vehicles were not for highway use. A few of the winning bidders of the jeeps said they used them for display purposes or for veterans events like parades.
Roger Trombley, regional senior sales manager for Alex Lyon & Son, Bridgeport, which conducted the auction, told the Times a few days after the sale that the Army had lost its records for the jeeps, so they could not be tracked.
The paperwork for the vehicles was first called into question by investigators from Fort Drum’s Criminal Investigation Command the day before the auction, despite the listing being published for months.