Transcript of conversation between ferry, shore
SEOUL — Following is the transcript released by the Ministry of Ocean and Fisheries of the conversation between Jeju Vessel Traffic Services Center (VTS) on Jeju Island and The Sewol, the ferry that sank on Wednesday.
The original transcript is in Korean and the translation was done by The Associated Press. It starts off from the first distress call made by the ferry:
Radio conversation on VHF (very high frequency) Channel 12
- Sewol: Harbor affairs Jeju, do you have reception of The Sewol?
- Jeju VTS: Yes, Sewol, this is Harbor affairs Jeju
- Sewol: Please notify the coast guard. Our ship is in danger. It's listing right now.
- Jeju VTS: Where's your ship? Yes, got it. We will notify the coast guard.
- Sewol: The ship has listed a lot. Can't move. Please come quickly.
- Sewol: We're next to Byeongpung Island.
- Jeju VTS: Yes, we got it.
- Jeju VTS: Sewol, this is Harbor affairs Jeju. Do you have reception? Sewol, Harbor affairs Jeju.
- Sewol: Harbor affairs Jeju, this is Sewol
- Jeju VTS: Sewol, this is Harbor affairs Jeju. Channel 21, please.
Radio conversation on VHF Channel 21
- Jeju VTS: Sewol, this is Harbor affairs Jeju.
- Sewol: Jeju, Sewol here.
- Jeju VTS: what's the current situation?
- Sewol: Currently the body of the ship has listed to the left. The containers have listed as well.
- Jeju VTS: OK. Any loss of human life or injuries?
- Sewol: It's impossible to check right now. The body of the ship has tilted, and it's impossible to move.
- Jeju VTS: Yes, OK. Please wear life jackets and prepare as the people might have to abandon ship.
- Sewol: It's hard for people to move.
- Jeju VTS: Yes, got it.
Radio conversation on VHF Channel 12
- Sewol: Harbor affairs Jeju, do you have reception of Sewol?
- Jeju VTS: Yes, this is Harbor affairs Jeju, Sewol
- Sewol: What's going on with the coast guard?
- Jeju VTS: Yes, we have notified the coast guard. Currently we are calling Jindo VTS and Wando VTS. Please hold for a moment.
After this, Jeju VTS notified other ships and Wando VTS.