New Humphreys high school may not open 'til mid-year
Stars and Stripes
SEOUL — The opening of the new secondary school at Camp Humphreys could be delayed until the middle of the upcoming school year due to unspecified construction problems, officials say.
The Humphreys Middle/High School was scheduled to open next Monday, but U.S. Forces Korea announced last week that “unfortunate” construction delays must be corrected. Instead, students will start the new school year at the base’s former elementary school, which is being replaced this month with the new Humphreys Central Elementary School.
Department of Defense Education Activity Pacific spokesman Charly Hoff said in an email that a definitive opening date for the secondary school cannot be set at this time, but it “may” be ready to open by middle of the academic year.
South Korea’s Ministry of National Defense-U.S. Forces Korea Relocation Office said Tuesday that “discrepancies” were found during a routine inspection of the school. However, MURO said it is still investigating and is “currently not ready to provide an immediate response” to questions about what those discrepancies involve.
The statement identified Seoul-based Samsung C&T Corp. as the contractor overseeing the project.
USFK says it cannot release information about the construction problems because MURO is managing the contract for the school, and would only address the delay in a statement that said “not all construction requirements for the High School are completed.”
The schools are among the projects that are being funded and overseen by South Korea for the relocation of most U.S. forces to hub bases south of Seoul by 2016.
Seoul is paying the $81.3 million construction costs for both of the new schools; ground was broken in September 2011. A new middle school is scheduled to open for the 2014-15 school year.