Military now says 29 soldiers wounded in Tarmiyah attack
American military officials on Wednesday updated the casualty figures stemming from the Feb. 19 attack on a combat outpost north of Baghdad, saying 29 soldiers were injured, in addition to the two killed.
Originally, officials said 17 soldiers had been wounded in the Tarmiyah attack, described in news stories as both “complex” and “brazen.”
According to Multi-National Division-Baghdad officials, 24 of the 29 wounded soldiers suffered only minor wounds and have since returned to duty. The five others were listed as having “serious injuries” and were still undergoing medical treatment as of Wednesday.
Witnesses and U.S. military officials have described a coordinated assault on U.S. forces manning a combat outpost that had been occupied by Iraqi police until December.
During the attack, at least one car bomb was detonated at the outpost’s wall, and insurgents attacked from several directions with small-arms fire, rocket-propelled grenades and other weapons.
“The U.S. soldiers defending the outpost were able to maintain security of the compound, evacuate the wounded and elements of the unit successfully detained seven suspected insurgents in the wake of the attack,” read a military news release issued Wednesday.
“The Tarmiyah combat outpost was defended solely by American troops. Iraqi police left the site in December, relocating the district police headquarters to nearby Mushada.”