West will give Afghan forces $4 billion per year, Karzai says
The West will subsidize Afghan security forces by more than $4 billion a year after U.S.-led troops leave in 2014, President Hamid Karzai said Thursday, implicitly accepting a cut in the planned size of his military.
Addressing a graduation ceremony at a military academy in Kabul, Karzai told graduates: “It’s set that post 2014, for the next 10 years until 2024, the international community, with the U.S. in the lead and followed by Europe and other countries, will pay Afghanistan security forces $4.1 billion annually,” Agence France-Presse reported.
However, Western officials told AFP no final agreements had been reached on the size or funding of Afghan security forces after coalition troops leave in 2014.
The $4.1 billion would pay for a force of about 230,000 men, AFP said, down from NATO plans for 352,000. A smaller security force could allow a resurgence of the Taliban.
Source: Agence France-Presse