July 4 events planned at bases in S. Korea
By STARS AND STRIPES Published: June 30, 2007
Bases in South Korea have a variety of activities planned to celebrate the Fourth of July.
Festivities begin at noon July 4 in the Main Post parking lot. Activities include live music, a magic show, a martial arts demonstration, a naturalization ceremony at 3:30 p.m., a 4:30 p.m. show by the Korean performing group Nanta, and an evening drawing for two round-trip tickets to the United States. A 20-minute fireworks display will kick off at 9 p.m.
Country singer Sherrie Austin will perform at Collier Field House at 6:30 p.m.
Other weekend activities include:
- July 3: Zapp, a funk and R&B band from the ’80s, at the Main Post Club at 7 p.m.
- July 6: Family Putt-Putt: A family putt-putt and barbecue party at noon at the Family Fun Park.
- July 6: The classic rock band the Machine at the Main Post Club at 7 p.m.
Activities start at 8 a.m. July 4 and will include sports competitions, live music, a military police dog demonstration, Korean cheerleaders, a magic show and a fireworks display. Shuttle buses from Camp Stanley and Camp Red Cloud to Camp Casey will run between 10 a.m. and 11 p.m.
- July 3: 7 p.m. Classic rock band The Machine will perform at Independence Park.
- July 4: 8 a.m. 5k and 10K fun runs start at Independence Park.
- 10 a.m. Father-Son softball game, Independence Park.
- 10 a.m. Firecracker one-pitch softball tournament at Soldier Field.
- 11 a.m. Official opening of festival grounds and static displays near Independence Park.
- 11:30 a.m. Korean National Police Band performs at Independence Park.
- 8 p.m. 8th Army Band concert at Independence Park.
- At dark, Mega Fireworks show, vicinity of Independence Park and Main Gate.
- July 5: 10 a.m. Firecracker one-pitch softball tournament at Soldier Field.
- 11 a.m. Various activities, including free swimming and miniature golf, begin.
- 1–4 p.m. Unit alternative Olympics at Independence Park.
- 4:30 p.m. Korean folk dancers perform at Independence Park.
- 5 p.m. Tae kwon do demonstration at Independence Park.
- 5:30 p.m. B-Boys Korean break dance group, at Independence Park.
- 7 p.m. Zapp R&B concert, Independence Park.
- July 6: 7 p.m. Sherrie Austin country music concert at Community Activity Center.
For more information, call DSN 754-8257.
- July 4: 7:30 a.m. Firecracker 5K fun run at Kelly Fitness Center.
- 10 a.m. Unit Olympics at Kelly Field.
- 1 p.m. Rhythm and Moves band performs at Kelly Fitness Center parking lot.
- 1–5 p.m. Youth activities including face painting, carnival games, moon bounces and ice cream eating contest at Kelly Fitness Center parking lot.
- 1–6 p.m. Adult and family games, including watermelon-eating contest, hot pepper-eating contest and candy-in-the-pie contest at Kelly Fitness Center parking lot and Kelly Field.
- 8:45 p.m. Fireworks, launched from vicinity of Kelly Field.
For more information, call DSN 768-7563 or 764-4432.
Osan Air Base
- July 4: A Liberty Fest with fireworks, live bands and other entertainment is set for 4–9 p.m. at the Charlie Diamond Area of the base flight line, across the street from the fitness center. The day will also include static displays of military equipment, a martial arts demonstration, and numerous activities for kids. Fireworks begin at dusk.
- July 5: The fourth annual Liberty Fest golf tournament is set for a shotgun start at 7:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., at the base golf course.
For more information, call DSN 784-4128.
Kunsan Air Base
The base will host its 5K Fun Run beginning at 8:30 a.m. at the fitness center, a cardboard boat race 10-11:30 a.m. at the Wolf Pack Pool, eating contests at the food court, an all-day barbecue and bazaar outside the base theater, a softball game at 1 p.m., a parade at 3 p.m., and other activities throughout the day. Other events, movie viewings and trips throughout the weekend also are planned.