Reserve Tuition Assistance
Members of the Selective Reserves are eligible for tuition assistance. However each of the Armed Forces determines how to administer their own Tuition Assistance (TA). In addition each state may offer its National Guard servicemembers state funded education incentives based on state guidelines and eligibility (i.e. TA, waivers, exemptions, student loan repayment, etc.). Military.com has gathered the following information about reserve TA benefits for each service:
- Army Reserve (USAR)
- Navy Reserve (USNR)
- Marine Reserve (USMCR)
- Air Force Reserve (USAFR)
- Coast Guard Reserve (USCGR)
Army Reserve (USAR)
The Army Reserve offers opportunities for selected reserve soldiers to pursue their education on a voluntary basis. Voluntary education plays a vital role in a reservist's career because it enhances promotional opportunities. Voluntary education differs from military education and training which is required for MOS/AOC. If you are interested in participating, voluntary education must be completed on personal time with financial assistance provided by the Army Reserve. You are strongly encouraged to become familiar with and utilize all available education benefits and programs.
Army Reservists may go to https://rcms.ocar.army.pentagon.mil/education/ and sign in using their AKO login and password to submit TA requests online.
The USAR offers:
- 100% tuition assistance up to $250 per semester hour, or $166 per quarter hour, not to exceed $4,500 annually per servicemember.
- 75% up to $250 per SH, $166 per quarter hour, and $4500 per FY for officers pursuing a bachelors degree.
- The soldier must be a drilling reservist in good standing.
- The soldier must declare an educational goal leading to a credential higher than current degree level.
- Enlisted soldiers and warrant officers must have sufficient time remaining on their term of service to complete the course before separation.
- Commissioned officers must have at least four years of Selected Reserve service remaining from the date of completion of the course for which tuition assistance is provided.
- The soldier must enroll for the independent study course following Army Reserve procedures.
Contact your local Army Reserve Education Office for assistance with TA or any other voluntary education assistance.
Navy Reserve (USNR)
There are currently no Tuition Assistance programs for the Navy Reserve. However, if you are activated under Title 10 then you qualify for the active duty Navy Tuition Assistance.
Marine Corps Reserve (USMCR)
There are currently no Tuition Assistance programs for the Marine Corps Reserve. However, if you are activated under Title 10 then you qualify for the active duty Marine Corps Tuition Assistance.
Air Force Reserve (USAFR)
In an effort to support the professional and education goals of Air Force Reservists, the Air Force provides several voluntary education programs for its reserve members.
- Undergraduate (Associates and Bachelors Degrees)
- 100% tuition assistance for undergraduate degree programs
- Not to exceed $250 per semester hour, or $166.67 per quarter hour
- Up to $4,500 annually per Servicemember.
- Graduate Studies (Masters Degree)
- 75% tuition assistance for graduate degree programs
- Not to exceed $250 per semester hour, or $166 per quarter hour
- Up to $4,500 annually.
- Note: The Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) manages payment of the USAFR tuition assistance program.
For additional information on the Air Force Reserve voluntary education programs, please contact: Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Training Support Branch, Robins AFB, Georgia, at Commercial phone number: (478) 327-1276, DSN 497-1276
Contact your education service officer for information on how to apply for tuition assistance and other programs.
Coast Guard Reserve (USCGR)
Coast Guard Reserve units have integrated with active duty sites, so in the spirit of "Team Coast Guard," USCG reservists have access to all of the educational programs available to active duty members. The Coast Guard Institute website has a complete synopsis of available programs and applications.
The Coast Guard offers selected reservists:
- 100% tuition assistance up to $250 per semester hour, or $166.67 per quarter hour
- Not to exceed $4,500 annually per servicemember.
- Contact your Coast Guard ESO for information on how to apply for tuition assistance and other programs.