One year later, still no answers on missing soldier
Published: June 30, 2010
ISAF officials today marked the one-year anniversary of the disappearance of Spc. Bowe Bergdahl, declared missing after he didn't show up for a unit roll call last summer. By mid-July commanders knew where he was; a Taliban propaganda video showed the young soldier in their captivity.
Bergdahl, a member of the 1st Battalion, 501st Infantry Regiment, is the only known U.S. servicemember currently being held by enemy fighters. Taliban commanders released two more videos featuring the soldier from Idaho in December 2009 and April 2010, demanding the release of prisoners at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay in exchange for his freedom.
But since then no news has surfaced about the soldier or his condition.
Army officials and Taliban statements have offered conflicting reports about how he was captured. Fellow soldiers said he simply walked off his base in Paktika province, but Taliban spokesmen claim he was captured after he fell behind while on patrol.
Today ISAF spokesman Rear Adm. Greg Smith said freeing Bergdahl has been a top priority since his disappearance. “We continue our efforts to determine his whereabouts and ensure his safe return. Our thoughts and prayers are with Bowe and his family.” Ceremonies were also scheduled today in his hometown to honor his service and push for his safe return home.